Plan Off! 2023: Congratulations to our urban and regional planning graduate students
The Plan Off! 2023 competition was a huge success and celebration for students, faculty, alumni and friends to gather in support of urban planning. Each year, MURP students compete for a prize by pitching their solution to a real-world planning, public policy or management problem before a panel of expert judges. Students each receive five minutes to present their plans, which advance through a series of rounds until a champion is named.
This year's grand prize champion is Nadya Syazsa for her presentation "Designing an Eco-Resilient Community in Brentwood, Washington D.C.," a project prepared for the District of Columbia Office of Planning. Runners up were Molly Frey, "Disparate Flood Outcomes and Social Vulnerability as a Fair Housing Issue in Norfolk" with HOME of Virginia; Daniel Longest, "Amtrak Staples Mill Station Strategic Vision Plan 2023," with Virginia Passenger Rail Authority, Trinity Waldron, "Downtown Revitalization Strategies," with the Town of Luray and Luray Downtown Initiative. Alessandro Ragazzi won Best Overall Plan for his presentation, "Advancing Social Equity and Promoting Black Self-Determination: A Community Garden Opportunity Plan for Richmond, VA."
The Wilder School would like to extend gratitude and thanks to our guest judges, friends at Virginia Housing for sponsoring the event, our event host, PlanRVA and our Wilder School urban and regional planning faculty.
Nadya Syazsa (far right) took home the Plan Off! 2023 grand prize for her presentation "Designing an Eco-Resilient Community in Brentwood, Washington D.C.," a project prepared for the District of Columbia Office of Planning.
All Student presentations
- Brandon Archer, "Developing Agrihoods: The Context for Petersburg" Happily Natural, LLC
- Alessandro Ragazzi, "Advancing Social Equity and Promoting Black Self Determination: A Community Garden Opportunity Plan" Richmond, Virgina
- Nadya Syazsa, "Designing an Eco-Resilient Community in Brentwood, Washington D.C." District of Columbia Office of Planning
- Sean Benson, "Windmill Ridge Park: A Sustainable Park Design" Chesterfield Parks and Recreation
- Daniel Longest "Amtrak Staples Mill Station Strategic Vision Plan 2023" Virginia Passenger Rail Authority
- Ankita Parekh, "Design Enhancement Plan" Town of Waverly
- Sean Clendening, "Business Highway 29 Overlay" City of Danville
- Claire Parkey, "Business Development Strategies" Main Street Petersburg
- Trinity Waldron, "Downtown Revitalization Strategies" Town of Luray and Luray Downtown Initative
- Court Caldwell, "Trolley Line Trail Creative Placemaking Plan" PlanRVA
- Molly Frey, "Disparate Flood Outcomes and Social Vulnerability as a Fair Housing Issue in Norfolk" HOME of Virginia
- Tucker Pleasants, "Midlothian Community Special Area Plan Alternative Stormwater Management Plan" County of Chesterfield Planning Office
- Sarin Adhikari, Principal Data Manager, PlanRVA
- Alissa Akins, Senior Director, ULI Learning, Urban Land Institute
- Caitlin Aubit, Planner, York County, Virginia
- Ross Catrow, Director of Communications, Richmond and Henrico Health Districts
- Noah Holmes Foster, Planner, Summit Design and Engineering Services
- Brandi Payne, Urban Planner, City of Colonial Heights
- Lark Washington, Senior Associate at HDAdvisors and Chief Operating Officer, Maggie Walker Community Land Trust