Six Events You Shouldn’t Miss During Welcome Week
Spirit Walk, Food Truck-a-Palooza and a host of VCU traditions enjoyed with a community of smart, eclectic people that will make you proud to be a Ram. That's VCU's Welcome Week in a nutshell.
Whether you're a freshman interested in homeland security or a graduate student returning to campus, Welcome Week—a series of events hosted throughout the university August 19-27—will help you get the most out of campus and prepare you for a successful year at VCU. It’s also a great time to explore what it means to embark on a meaningful career in public service in a vibrant community like the Wilder School.
Throughout the week, new and prospective students will have the opportunity to learn more about the Wilder School’s five academic programs in addition to our dynamic advising and student support offerings. For instance, want to learn more about how internships and undergraduate research can help you stand out in your next round of applications? Join us for our signature “Keys to Success” event on Tuesday, Aug. 22 from 11:45a.m.-1 p.m. at the University Student Commons (USC), 907 Floyd Ave., Forum Room.
Here are six Welcome Week activities that we encourage every incoming student to make time for.
- Wilder School Student Panel and Pizza: Keys to Success—Hear directly from Wilder School students who will share their knowledge and experience of the school and its programs. Tuesday, August 22, 11:45 a.m.-1 p.m., USC, Forum Room.
- SOVA Fair—The Student Organization and Volunteer Opportunities (SOVO) Fair is an annual tradition at VCU that connects VCU students with the surrounding Richmond community. Learn about the more than 1,000 student organizations on campus while connecting with community agencies from around the city who will be recruiting volunteers for both short and long-term placement. Information on organizations and other involvement opportunities will be provided. Friday, August 25, 3-6 p.m., USC, –SLIC.
- Wilder Graduate Student Orientation—Learn more about the Wilder School’s graduate programs and meet the faculty. Programs also conduct individual orientation sessions with representatives available to talk with students and answer questions. Monday, Aug. 21, 12:30-2:30 p.m. Academic Learning Commons, 1000 Floyd Ave. A special lunch for registered Wilder School students will be held prior to the event.
- Meet the President—Ring in your fall semester with the President! Come out and meet Dr. Michael Rao, President of Virginia Commonwealth University and VCU Health, hear from various departments and student organizations and participate in awesome giveaways, photos and refreshments. Tuesday, August 22, 1-2:30 p.m., USC, Richmond Salons, I-IV.
- Food-Truck-A-Palooza—Enjoy the diverse food trucks that Richmond has to offer! Stop by tables outside of the USC for FREE $1 vouchers to use at any of the food trucks – tickets are limited so arrive early! There will also be music and games throughout the event. Saturday, August 26, 1-4 p.m.
- Spirit Walk—In an annual Welcome Week tradition, VCU Alumni welcomes the incoming first-year class with the Ram Spirit Walk. Alumni, faculty, staff and current students line the streets as new students and The Peppas spirit band march from New Student Convocation to the Monroe Park Campus Block Party.