Top Five Events You Shouldn’t Miss During Welcome Week
August 20, 2018
By Ashley Harrison
Whether you’re a freshman interested in homeland security or a transfer student ready to take on the field of criminal justice, Welcome Week — a series of events hosted throughout the university August 18-26 — will help you get the most out of campus and prepare you for a successful year at VCU. It’s also a great time to explore what it means to embark on a meaningful career in public service in a vibrant community like the Wilder School.
Throughout the week, new and prospective students will have the opportunity to learn more about the Wilder School’s five academic programs in addition to our dynamic advising and student support offerings.
For instance, want to learn more about how internships and getting involved will help you succeed as a Wilder School student from Wilder School students? Join us for our signature “Discover Connect Engage” event on Wednesday, August 22, from 12-1 p.m. at the Raleigh Building, 1001 W. Franklin St., Room 1013AB.
Here are five Welcome Week activities that we encourage every incoming student to make time for:
- Meet the President. Ring in your fall semester with the president! Come out and meet Michael Rao, Ph.D., president of Virginia Commonwealth University and VCU Health, as well as participate in awesome giveaways, photos and refreshments. Monday, August 20, 1:30-3:00 p.m., University Student Commons, Commonwealth Ballrooms.
- Spirit Walk. In an annual Welcome Week tradition, the VCU community welcomes the incoming first-year class with the Ram Spirit Walk. Alumni, faculty, staff and current students line the streets as new students and The Peppas spirit band march from New Student Convocation to the Block Party. Tuesday, August 21, New Student Convocation followed by the Spirit Walk and Block Party starts at 4 p.m.
- “Discover Connect Engage: Wilder School Student Panel.” Hear directly from Wilder School students who will share their knowledge and experience of the school and its programs. Wednesday, August 22, 12-1 p.m., the Raleigh Building room 1013AB.
- Student Organization Fair. The Student Organization is an annual tradition at VCU that connects VCU students with departments and organizations around the university! Come out and learn more about how to get involved at VCU and meet representatives from more than 500 registered student organizations. For more information, contact email@example.com. Friday, August 24, 3-6 p.m. University Student Commons.
- Food-Truck-A-Palooza. Enjoy the amazing food trucks that Richmond has to offer! Students will get tickets they can redeem for the free food. Once tickets are gone, students can use cash or card to get additional food. Friday, August 24, 5-8 p.m.